Tuesday

Sylvania Ohio Images of America



This book was written by Gaye E. Gindy, Trini L. Wenninger


Trini is a friend I made through Skrappaper. She told me that she coauthored a book on Sylvania History but at the time I didn't have time to search it out, I still owned a store. Well I loved it. I love history. I love seeing what was here before I was. I was raised by a dad who would take us to visit cemeteries, all over Indiana and some in Ohio if I remember correctly, to find long lost ancestors. I loved to make rubbings on the tombstones to get all of the information if it wasn't easily read.
This book is a treasure trove of photos and information. I love that we now know that the barn by the library in Sylvania was part of a farm. Remember Carolyn Keene author of my favorite Nancy Drew mysteries. She was actually originally ghostwritten by Mildred Wirt Benson who lived here and was buried in Toledo Memorial Gardens off of Monroe Street. Sylvania sparked a lot of contention when we were considered part of Michigan and Ohio. Lots of fun stuff and the best part are that there are pictures for each tidbit of information. I can only imagine the ammount of work it took to sort through historical photos, while also finding the stories that go with them. Way to go Trini!

1 comments:

Trini said...

Susan... thank you for this kind post. It made my day! The book was a huge project but it was worth it.