Friday

Hurricane watching

This is one of the buildings that news personalities have been filming storm surge of all day, pre-storm surge.

I love the weather. So the Weather Channel is on in my home frequently. You probably have already seen coverage of Hurricane Ike approaching Galveston, Texas. They have had a mandatory evacuation order... and today the National Hurrican Center stated, "Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family, one- or two-story homes will face certain death." Warning residents of massive waves that would rapidly engulf such structures. I always find the presence of media "personalities" a little crazy. I know we all want to see the storm. Duh, remember I love the weather channel. John and I were watching the coverage on Fox News Channel, because Geraldo was on and he drives us crazy. So why were we watching? John and I were awaiting the moment when Geraldo would be knocked off his feet by the storm surge. When it happened(I was on the phone, sorry for your ears Leslie), there was much cheering and clapping, or maybe jeering or clapping. I went for a high five but John was to busy clapping and left me hanging. I hate when that happens. I hope you enjoy this link...mind you Geraldo had already fallen very early in the day but we missed it. He did state that his boots had water in them and he would be squishing around for the next twelve hours. I always thought hurricanes involved wind and a lot of water. Geraldo must not have gotten that memo and forgotten to pack extra socks.
Above is a computer image of Galveston taken back in the late nineties. Below is a computer simulation of what a 19 foot storm surge will do to Galveston Island. They are predicting a storm surge of up to 24 feet.
I can't imagine the powerful sense of helplessness these people are feeling. I'm thankful that they have evacuated almost everyone. There will always be the people who won't leave, or think that it won't be bad. I just hope they find a way to survive.

3 comments:

CANDACE said...

after having had a chair thrown at him on his own talk show i don't know how anything more could embarrass him.

also, people are stupid if they don't evacuate. there are still going to be idiots who decide to stay anyway.

CANDACE said...

i did still giggle at him falling, though. :)

Creative Minx said...

That is hilarious! Buh Bye Geraldo!