Thursday

Caterpillar...

Paige and I went to the garden today to see all the new plants that Mr. Matt and Josue' had brought in. Paige was excited to play with "caterpillars" Mr. Matt promised her. Yes, Paige does like real caterpillars and takes great joy in stomping on the bad guys. Upon discovering that her caterpillars were this.... and that she could snuggle them she was even more excited. The plant is a an Acalypha hispida or if you don't speak latin, a Chenille plant. This is the only and I really do mean only plant that I have bought and kept alive in a hanging basket. My grandmother loved these and when we found one on vacation in Indiana, oh you know 12 years ago, I bought one. This plant is a lot of fun due to the fuzzy caterpillars that hang off of it's leaves. I remember how much my favorite 4 year old little person of those days, Miss Q, loved it. Bonus, because I loved it I remembered to water it. Hmmm, coincidental that I had talked with Miss Q's mom, for the 1st time in months only an hour before?
Paige did come home and try to "plant" the caterpillars. When that didn't work she went for a vase. With no success at her planting techniques she set the caterpillars on the piano in her bucket to keep them safe.
Paige being in an especially fiesty mood wouldn't pose for a photo. Every other image of her is a blur of movement. Which come to think of it might be a more realist photo of the minx.Her other excitement is watch the bananas on her "Banana Plant." Grow. Here's the underside of a banana leaf beautiful with the light coming through.These are Paige's bananas. She loves them and I've caught her staring at them for minutes at a time. Willing them to ripen. The other request of the day was to photograph "this one." At first I thought she meant the plant which is fun with great variegation on the leaves. Nope she wanted the one leaf on the plant that had a cool hole in it. She thought the plant was pretty tricky to grow a hole in it's own leaf. I guess more gardeners would be happy if they looked at the world from Paige's point of view.

1 comments:

Creative Minx said...

I love the picture of the banana plant leaf. The colors are amazing. It is so interesting seeing things from Paige's eyes. The innocence and the wonder. And the Minxy-ness!